Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Hardest Part Of Having A Dog

This is a picture that indeed is worth a thousand words. We have an elderly Retriever with his not so young mistress and we can see how much love they have for each other. She remembers when he was a mischievous pup and he remembers how patient she was and all the treats she'd give him.

The really tough part about having a dog is knowing they will not live a very long time. We acquire them as puppies or young dogs and before we know it, they are grown. They bond with us and to them we can do no wrong. They love us without question. They are part of our family; part of our routine.

Then, we turn around and our dog is old. Where did the time go? We take him to the Vet who tells us to just take care of Fido and love him. And love him we do - maybe too much.

The dog who cannot see still loves you. He trusts you to still love him and so you do. But your heart is breaking as you watch him stumble through the house. His other senses are pretty good and he probably gets around better than you or I would.

Because I was so involved in the Dog Fancy, I have seen a lot of puppies. Puppies need their mother but their mother needs us. A pen with a nursing mother is a delight, but it is hard work too. Since I bred Shih Tzu, I didn't like to let them go too young as they were quite small. I usually had people waiting for them and it was interesting to place them in suitable homes. I still have videos and pictures of the puppies playing and I remember how much fun they were when they were so little.

Because I sometimes showed my dogs, I always looked for the one I wanted to keep - if I was keeping one - and I watched how they changed just about daily.

I studied Shih Tzu and so I was looking for things others wouldn't think about. I liked to place them in adult homes; just never really felt they were a child's dog. Their eyes were prominent and vulnerable and I guess I felt most children needed something a little bigger to play with.

Then, there are dogs in their prime who can outwit us and make us laugh. I had a Boxer who was that and more. He actually was the first dog I had ever had although I was in my twenties. He was a rather serious soul and took direction well. Looking back, he was overtrained. He went with cancer when he was six. Six! He went quickly after he was diagnosed and didn't seem to be in too much pain. It broke my heart. But I still think about that dog - and each dog is an individual - a lot. I think about how much he might have taught our current dog, Buddy, the Lhasa Apso.

Red had a friend named Lex. The two Boxers would run in the field and Lex would patiently teach Red some of the things he knew about being an apartment dog.

The greatest thing I can tell you about Red is that he was the one individual who cared - all day long, day in and day out - that my little daughter was sick. He learned right away not to lick her face and he knew to come and get me if she was in distress. Her name was Carrie Jane and I know that Red found her when he went Up There.

About eight years later, in my second marriage, we had two Lhasas - one named BoBo and one named Garbo.

A granddaughter and I groomed Garbo beautifully one day and put ribbons in her hair. She played in the garden and had a wonderful day. That night we took her downstairs and put her to bed for the night in her crate. In the morning, she was gone. No pain, no illness: she just simply died. I have not known too many others who went so calmly.

BoBo was not named well for he never was clownish like some of the Lhasa I have known. He was extremely serious and took his guarding duties very seriously. He hated thunderstorms and barked furiously when he heard the noise. He loved car rides and his romps in the garden. When he could no longer see and was stumbling, my husband did not want to have him put down. So, we set him up in an excercise pen and cared for him but he did not seem happy and it was one disease after another. He was about 15 years old. Finally, we did have him put down.

It was very sad that day and I was feeling very bad myself because it was John's dog and I had persuaded him to do this. I simply could not bear to see BoBo suffer any more. After it was dark, there was a thunderstorm that night with major noise. It fit perfectly! BoBo had got to that Rainbow Bridge.

No dog I have had after BoBo has been afraid of thunder because I have always consoled them by telling them that it was just BoBo saying "Hello". (It is your attitude that sets the tone for how your dog reacts.)

If you have not heard that tale, I will tell you. It is said that when dogs die, they go to Heaven and they wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge. When we die, they will come running to welcome us.

As John had dogs all his life and had been an all-breed dog show judge, I think the Irish Setters, Cocker Spaniels, Scottish Terriers, Lhasas and Shih Tzu gave him a wonderful greeting the night he died.

I don't often write my blogs about such serious or sad topics, but a lady I hardly know had an experience a few days ago. They had been visiting family here and were driving back home. Their old dog took sick and they turned back to get him help. He's home with them now. He is blind and his getting sick just made them feel worse. They know how much they have loved that dog over the years and how much he has loved them. It breaks the heart.

When I came to Texas, I brought my last two homebred Shih Tzu - Sadie and Harry. They made friends with my new Hubby's cats - Sugar and Smokey and we had great times with them all.

Sadie went out one morning, came back in to the kitchen and half an hour later, Hubby found her very still - dead - with Harry standing by her side. It was so peaceful and gentle. Pastor Chancellor came over and dug her grave at the back fence in the garden.

Harry continued for another two years and was the first dog I have seen take seizures. It was really horrid. We had to have him put down and by then the cats had both died.

Well, that was IT! No more pets! No more dogs! Too heart-breaking. Too sad. No more dogs. Yes, that is the way it would be.

We lasted five weeks.

That's when Buddy the Lhasa came into our lives. Now he is six. He hasn't slowed down much yet but we dog lovers live every day with the fact that they don't live long lives.

One more thing. We have a friend who will take Buddy if something should happen to us. If you have pets, that's something to think about: that your pet would have a fine home if he didn't have you.

They ask for so little and give us so much. Our dogs are such a blessing; we would not like to be without them.

Now, go give your dog an extra hug!

No comments:

Post a Comment