Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Westminister Kennel Club Show - Next Week


Dog show 7 - Warrior
Originally uploaded by Tomi Tapio
When I came to Texas and found live Dog Shows on TV, I was in heaven! I would get out a big pad and pen and follow along. Hubby was amazed that I could usually pick 2 or 3 dogs placed in each Group.

I thought I would help you a little to enjoy the show even more. It will be on next Monday, Feburary 14 and Tuesday, Feburary 15th.

The dog in today's picture is Warrior, a very typical Shih Tzu. I bred, owned and showed this breed for 25 years. I called them the sweetest little dog on the face of the earth.

In United States, the Shih Tzu is in Group V, Toys (in Canada, he is in Non-Sporting, Group VI).

Now, we can see how nicely groomed this Shih Tzu is and he is very pretty. We have not yet seen him walk but the wonder of watching a fine Shih Tzu walk in the ring is that he resembles a hovercraft . . . very smooth and you really might only see the pads of his feet as he walks away from you.

Shih Tzu are still a very popular breed despite the intense grooming and they are small and compact. You can easily pick them up and take them with you. (Of course, many companion owners like to cut them down so there is not so much grooming.)

The Shih Tzu does very well in an adult home where he is the child. Sorry if you feel differently, but for me, the Shih Tzu was the child. (The more you read my suggestions, the more you know I really like Retrievers for children.)

This is just one breed you will see at Westminister and if you go to the Westminister K.C. website, you will find out more details on the entries. If you are on Facebook, you can click on W.K.C. and get lots of info there too.

No comments:

Post a Comment